Friday, April 23, 2010

I live to dream again...

Recently I had my first clear dream about Millie.  When she died, I immediately began to hope I would dream about her.  I just knew that was the only way I could possibly have the experiences and feelings I miss so much.  Of course my heart couldn't handle dreaming of her right away.  A few days after she died I dreamed that I was about to look at pictures of her, and that alone was so painful that I woke up.  Since then, for the most part, she has been present in my dreams, but my dreams have not been about her.

A few days ago, though, I dreamed that I took a trip somewhere.  Somehow, for some reason, Millie was there.  I hadn't given her away or left her somewhere, but for some reason she was there, away from my ordinary life.  I had a sense that we were separated because she was sick and/or dying.  But she seemed okay.  We did some serious cuddling, and I had sweet experiences of her cuddled up by my chest and neck.  We went on some walks on Aspen Place where the house is in Evergreen.  There was a sense that she would be gone soon, but for the time being she really seemed to be okay.  So I decided to bring her home with me.  That part was really clear; I was telling everyone in my dream that I had made this big decision to bring her home with me, and then I woke up.

Who knows what any of it means.

The depth of my grief has given me a new awareness of just how deeply bonded Millie and I were.  I wrote in an earlier post that I never took Millie for granted, and that's true.  And I was very aware of her mortality.  I knew it would be horrible to lose her, and I knew that someday I would.  But I really did not know my heart could hurt this bad, and that shows me how much love my heart can hold.

1 comment: