Sunday, April 4, 2010

If it looks like I've been crying, it's just because I've been crying.

Today has been on the horrible side.  It's been one month now since Millie died.  I have no idea how a month has gone by.  I feel like I've been running as fast as I can away from March 4th, knowing that I definitely won't feel better until I get to the future, so I'm going there in a hurry.

It still doesn't seem real.  It just seems like I've been transported to another possible world where water is twater (for the philosophers out there) and I am the momma of a 5-month old lab-mix instead of the momma/soul mate of a 9-year old pug-with-special-needs.  I can't believe how much of my identity consists of being Millie's momma.  I know I've said this at least a hundred times in the last month, but everything is so different now.  When I think back about the moment I heard that Millie was gone, it is the memory of a bomb blast.  As I remember it, my hair was blown back by the rushing bomb wind, and my skin was melted off by the bomb-radiation.  I can see that somehow I've made a future for myself, but it's nothing I recognize.  "My world's the surface of the moon, my heart's down in a diamond mine."  (Mike Doughty)

It seems too real.  From what I've been reading, many people feel a presence of their pet when he/she dies.  Jesus Effing Christ I wish I felt that way.  Instead, Millie's absence colors every perception I have.  Where's-Millie?-colored-glasses instead of rose-colored-glasses.  I think this is largely because I was very aware of how meaningful and important Millie was to me and how much joy she brought me every day.  I often marveled about how that much intensity, that much silly sweetness, that much L O V E could be packed into such a tiny bundle.  I can honestly say that I did not take her and our love for granted.  That's good, I know, but nothing is really very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment